Within the next ten years, he established a sawmill at the falls, and lumbermen from the north began cutting trees and sending them to Steele's sawmill.
Extends into Anoka County.1920 joint office building for design professionals, noted for its exceptional Renaissance Revival architecture by Hewitt and Brown and association with several leading architects, engineers, and interior designers.c.
Renamed the Minneapolis Grain Exchange in 1947.2.8-mile (4.5 km) trench and 28 bridges built 1912–1916 to separate rail and street traffic, an urban planning accomplishment to improve both safety and industry. Minneapolis' oldest surviving railway station, built 1897–9, with an earlier 1879 freight house.
Also significant for their architecture, association with the milling district, and preservation of one of the nation’s few remaining truss-roofed train sheds.
The former Washburn "A" Mill building on the west side of the falls exploded on May 2, 1878, but its owners quickly rebuilt the west side district, including a new, larger Washburn "A" Mill.
Meanwhile, in 1880, Pillsbury began building the huge Pillsbury "A" Mill on the east side of the falls.