Voters selected Mineola (in the Town of North Hempstead) to be the county seat for the new county of Nassau in November 1898 Mineola officially became the County Seat on July 13, 1900, as Governor Theodore Roosevelt laid the cornerstone of the Nassau County Court House.A celebration was held to commemorate the occasion on the barren 5-acre (20,000 m) site at the corner of Old Country Road and Franklin Avenue.However, instead of active service in the southwest, it remained at Mineola training and was released from federal service on November 2, 1916.On May 20, 1927, at a.m., Charles Lindbergh started his historic flight from nearby Roosevelt Field.Many dignitaries were present to witness this event such as Frederick Hicks, Congressman Townsend Scudder, Colonel William Youngs and Supervisors William Jones and Edwin Willits.
The name was later shortened and altered to "Mineola".
Long Island was part of Henry Hudson's original claim in the name of the Dutch East India Company dating as far back as 1609.
In the 18th century the Dutch and English settlers worked to clear farmland to start their life on the Hempstead Plains.
Glenn Curtiss brought the area to national attention in July 1909 with his second Scientific American Award flight of over 23 minutes and 15 miles.
He also made some of the first public flights in America in his "Golden Flyer", while practicing for the Reims Aviation Meet in France.